05 October 2007

Comfort Music

I don't have hipster music tastes. The Scientist does. He actively looks for new bands and sometimes brings home (or downloads) great new stuff that I really like (along with stuff that he really likes and that I cannot stand). He has been a big influence in moving me out of my 80s & 90s nostalgia comfort zone (see: U2; see also: Madonna) and into something resembling 2007 (or at least 2005).

But when I'm feeling really, really blah, sad, depressed, etc. I don't turn to Elliot Smith or Matt Pond. Instead I crank up The Nutcracker Suite. Seriously. It's my favorite comfort music in the larger comfort music genre of "Christmas."

When I was a freshman in college I was depressed during most of my first semester. It was typical freshman girl stuff - no close friends, big school, no boyfriend, etc. My roommate was from the area and had a boyfriend who lived off-campus so she was never in our dorm room. I played Christmas songs the entire month of September and into October to cheer myself up. Then I made some friends, started dating a guy and didn't need the Christmas music anymore.

Today, I have been playing The Nutcracker Suite on The Scientist's computer while I work on my laptop. Not for any particularly heartbreaking reason, but just because I'm sick (head cold), tired (see: head cold), and bummed because I just found out that the Dream Job I didn't get hired for hasn't hired some spectacular candidate with 4 degrees and a 12-page resume. Instead, they have opened the position again. I'm so frustrated because I know that I would be great in this job. But they don't think so. Bah, humbug.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amelia Sprout said...

I love the Nutcracker Suite year round. Thank you Fantasia. I really should get it so that I have it, especially since Christmas is coming.

When I'm really needing something, I play Bethoven's 9th symphony, specifically the choral parts.

11/10/2008 10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home