03 December 2008

Sick con't

So that was Wednesday. Thursday we had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt's house that we had to bring absolutely nothing to except ourselves. We even got to bring home a bunch of leftovers.

Friday I took the boys to ride a special holiday train with my parents while The Scientist stayed home to do some nagging house projects. The Wombat was still running a fever, but we figured it was the ear infection. He got worse throughout the day and Friday night/Saturday morning was up several times. I finally took his temperature at 4 in the morning when he felt burning hot to the touch. 104F. Fuck. Tylenol, Motrin 1/2 hour later, and he was still hot. His fever finally broke around 5:30 a.m. and he slept until 7:45 a.m. (which almost never happens).

I called the dr's office again around 9:30 Saturday morning and spoke to a nurse who asked a lot of questions. No fever, no ear pulling, no other mysterious symptoms so we were told the antibiotic had probably just taken a while to kick in and he didn't need to come in. Call back if anything changes. An hour later he was pulling on his ear and his fever spiked back up again. Called the dr's office for another appointment, called my parents to see if they could watch The Monkey so he didn't have to be dragged along (and also not get exposed to all the other sick kids in the dr's office on a Saturday), texted The Scientist who was at band practice to let him know what was going on, and got The Wombat ready to go. My mom came with me for moral support, which I desperately needed at that point.

We saw our 3rd pediatrician in 3 weeks and The Wombat's fever was up to 102.5 in the dr's office. His blood test was negative for mono and his white blood cell count was fine, so we were sent on our way with his 3rd antibiotic. This time I had it filled at the pharmacy next door. Side effects of this one: orange poop.

Sunday was more of the same - night waking Saturday night, lower grade fever throughout the day. The Wombat stayed home from daycare Monday and Tuesday (mostly on Tuesday because of antibiotic-related diarrhea) but slept better. Last night he slept straight through from 7:30 p.m. to 6:20 a.m. and I think we're finally all on the road to recovery. Just in time for Christmas, which last year involved pneumonia and strep. I am crossing my fingers that we will not have a similar experience this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home