26 January 2009

Insured

My brother has no health insurance.

He is a single 30-year-old freelancer. No employer to offer him insurance. Too old (and graduated from college) to be a dependent on my parents' insurance plan. Too single to tag onto a spouse's plan. He made a few dollars to many (literally) to qualify for our state's low income subsidized plan.

This article by Atul Gawande is a fantastic explanation of how we could get to universal health care, partly based on what the state of Massachusetts has done. I believe the time has come in the United States for universal health care. I hope President Obama is the one who can make it happen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amelia Sprout said...

I had a conservative tell me that universal health care wasn't a good idea because people in their twenties who are single and self employed don't want health coverage and they shouldn't be burdened with paying for it. To which I replied, bullshit.

1/27/2009 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home